Wednesday 21 August 2013

I didn’t change my name on Prateik’s insistence: Amyra Dastur

She has failed auditions ample number of times, her Hindi is as bad as it can get, yet 20-year-old Amyra Dastur did everything to enter Bollywood. A name change from Amy to Amyra did not deter her either. I didn't want 'Amy' to be used nastily I was named after my paternal grandmother, my dadi. She died before I was born, which is why my parents named me Amy. My dad's side of the family was very poor while growing up, but my dadi raised three kids, got my dad through medical school, sent my uncle to America where he wanted to work and helped my aunt become an accountant, because that's what she wanted to do. and in the last few years of her life, her husband, my grandfather, went blind... she took care of him as well. So my dadi is more respected than any member in my family. Now that I have entered this industry, I know how it is going to be. I understand that the press isn't going to always say nice things about me, and I didn't want my dadi's name to be used nastily. in my family, Amy is her name, not mine, which is why we changed it. After bagging my debut film, my parents and I sat and discussed this (name change) and we decided to go ahead with Amyra. So, no, I did not change my name Amy to Amyra on Prateik's insistence. All this is just a coincidence, unfortunately. I haven't changed my name legally yet, though, but I will soon do it as I am going to be called Amyra from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment